Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Washington Apple

Joe has been trying to get me to try this drink for months now! Okay! Okay!
I had resisted for a spell because I was all a-feared that an apple-based cocktail would be too tart for my tastes. I was quite relieved to see that my fears were unfounded!! That Royal Crown really grounds this baby, and with just a 'smack' of apple...
Very nice!

Read on!


The Recipe:

Into a large cocktail shaker, add:

- a 4 count of Crown Royal,
- a 3 count of Apple Pucker,
- a generous "sploosh" of cranberry juice,

Shake, shake, shake...

- garnish with a slice of orange.

Joe's Notes: The Washington Apple is like a box of chocolates, you can never have just one.
Okay, so how many of you, when you started to read this, thought, "Forrest Gump? "
Actually, this is one of the all-time misquoted sayings. He actually said "Life WAS like a box of chocolates." A small point, granted, but it did get me thinking: What about Washington and his apple tree? (Research Assistant, Kerry believes that it was a cherry tree and not an apple tree that the young George Washington cut down.) In fact there is no evidence to support that he cut down an apple or any other sort of tree.

"Houston, we have a problem." On the fated Apollo 13 Mission, Commander Jack Swigert actually said " O.K., Houston, we've had a problem." I prefer the misquote, (as did Ron Howard,) and tend to use it quite frequently.
"Beam me up, Scotty." The intrepid Captain Kirk never did say these immortal words, instead he said. "Scotty, beam me up."

Why does this happen? Could it be like the children's game Chinese Whispers , or do we purposely misquote to improve on an idea?

Here's one for all you history buffs. It is also an example of purposely misquoting. At the Battle of Trafalgar, Admiral Neslon's dying words to his ever trusty side-kick, Captain Hardy, supposedly were "Kiss me, Hardy." This has caused many a classroom of English kids to erupt into peels of laughter during history class.
It was later taught that his dying words where "Kismet, Hardy," Kismet meaning fate. This, although not true, was taught for the unfounded fear that the great Admiral Nelson could possibly have been "batting for the other team."
One interesting point about Nelson is that his body was preserved in a barrel of brandy. I wonder if this where "dead drunk" comes from?

So what has all this got to do with the Washington Apple? Absolutely nothing! But frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

So go out and get yourself a Washington Apple. A very splendid cocktail. And you can quote me on that.
Joe the Bartender



-------------------------------
-------------------------------
BARELY-Related Video this week: Spinal Tap's Majesty of Rock!
Cheers!




2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I want to put up a new cocktail menu at the passage lounge and I need your help. If anybody has a favorite drink from the blog can they let me know. we have been blogging for over a year now and that adds up to a hell of a lot of drinks. help me weed out the best
    Thanks Joe the bartender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Joe!
    I gave it a little time, but the results are in, (although mostly from the Facebook page!)

    The favorite drinks from readers who chose to respond in writing are:

    - The Chaitini
    - The Washington Apple,
    - The St. Margarita,
    - The Passgae White Russian,
    - The Bartender's Margarita,
    and The Mai Tai.

    See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete