Thursday, November 5, 2009

MY Mai Tai

Hey! This is my debut as "Guest Mixologist" on this blog, (I'm so excited!)

I hope you dig my own entry into The Greatest Drink in the World... This Week!

~ C:



One of my favorite mixed drinks of all time is the Mai Tai. There are many recipes for this “Elixir of the Gods,” and they vary from place to place, (and I have done a fairly extensive search looking for my faves, by the way!) But I decided to do a little "work," and create my own recipe. It took me most of the summer to finally get the perfect balance of the flavors I liked, but I am very happy with it, (and I am drinking one as I write this!)




My Mai Tai Recipe



The hooch:

1 ounce Bacardi White Rum

1 ounce Captain Morgan’s Parrot Bay Mango Rum

1 ounce Captain Morgan’s Parrot Bay Coconut Rum

1 ounce Triple Sec

1 ounce Amaretto

A splash of Myers Dark Rum


The Juices:

1 ounce Rose's Lime Juice

A dash of Rose's Grenadine

5 ounces of Pineapple juice


The Mix:

-Mix the white rum, the mango rum, the coconut rum, the triple sec and the Amaretto together with the lime juice and pour into a 16-ounce pint glass full of ice.

-Add the pineapple juice and stir.

-Pour a dash of grenadine so that it settles down the bottom.

-Float a splash of Myer's Dark Rum across the top.

-Garnish with a chunk of pineapple, a maraschino cherry, and or a slice of lime, and of course, a paper umbrella.


The straw hits the grenadine first giving a burst of sweet with just a pinch of rum taste. This changes soon and all of those flavors beat the sweet bejesus out of your taste buds. And just when the drink is almost dry, and the ice has melted a bit, the Myer’s Dark jumps in for a last minute “Pop!” MMMmmm, good!


Recipe by: ME! Chris Toler, Blog Author & resident souse!


Chris's notes: It is by no means a traditional mix, (the original had no pineapple juice!) but one straight outta my own melon. And it does what it sets out to do, too; give a great, all-over summery feeling in a Polynesian way!

And it tastes like pure, tropical sunshine in a glass!



Okole maluna!

- Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment